Mountain Logo
Ascender Title
July 2011
Volume 17, Issue 6


The view from the Bunny Flat trailhead when we arrived

Mike trudging up Avalanche Gulch in the wee hours of the morning

The shadow of Shasta at sunrise

Lassen Peak in the distance as we head up the steep slope

Mike taking a well-deserved break at the top of Red Banks

Mike and Joel at Helen Lake

Looking down from Red Banks towards Helen Lake (we glissaded down this slope)

Climbing past Red Banks with Thumb Rock in the background

Up, up and up... it seemed to be endless.

Joel approaches the final summit block.

The summit at last

Looking back at Mike with the final 300' to the summit

Spectacular vistas greeted us in each direction.

Mt. Shasta from town the next morning

June 20, 2011
Report by Mike Shackleford, Photos by Joel Brewster & Mike Shackleford

On June 20, 2011, five members of the Las Vegas Mountaineers Club, Joel, Eric, Dan, Al and me, set out to climb one of the highest mountains in the lower 48 states: Mount Shasta. If you haven't heard of it, climbing Mount Shasta is no walk the park. It is over 7,000 feet of elevation gain up to an altitude of 14,179 feet. Depending on the time of year and snowfall, the climb will be some combination of ice and loose rock. There is no trail; in fact, not even any signage, except the one sign marking the trailhead. The only other permanent sign of the human touch along the route is a hikers' hut, belonging to the Sierra Club, known as Horse Camp. It's about a one hour walk from the trailhead. Technical mountaineering gear (namely a helmet, crampons and ice axe) is necessary for a safe climb. It is not necessary to rope up, although we saw one team roped up.

Mount Shasta itself rises up out of nearly flat countryside in northern California, about 50 miles south of the Oregon border. It is near the southern end of a series of volcanoes, known as the Cascades, which extends northward from northern California to southern British Columbia. The main climbing route, which we did, is known as Avalanche Gulch. While this route is only 11 miles round trip, it encompasses 7,262 feet of elevation gain. That is what is brutal about Shasta -- it is undeniably steep. By way of comparison, the most common route on Mount Everest, the South Col, has 59% more elevation gain, at 11,535 feet, and that takes about four weeks to do. Okay, maybe that is a bad comparison, but here are some statistics comparing Shasta to some other mountains I have climbed.

Mountain Vertical gain (feet)/ Distance (miles)/ Altitude
Shasta 7,262'/ 11/ 14,162'
Whitney 5,860'/ 22/ 14,505'
San Gorgonio 5,419'/ 16/ 11,499'
Charleston 4,318'/ 17/ 11,918'
Baldy (San Antonio) 3,900'/ 12/ 10,064'

Shasta in late June would normally be only partially covered in snow and ice. However, the winter of 2011 brought levels of snow well above average to the mountains in the western United States, so the route was almost entirely covered in snow. The heavy snow was actually a good thing, since the alternative is hiking on scree, which is both exhausting and makes one more vulnerable to rock fall accidents.

The hardness of the snow varies by the hour. It is hard at night and early morning; however, as the sun beats down on it, it gets softer. Soft snow is more difficult to walk through and more prone to avalanches. Those who attempt to climb Shasta in a single day therefore need to start not much after midnight.

The day before the big day, I gathered with two other members of our team, Joel and Eric, at the Bunny Flat Trailhead at about 6:30 PM. The other two members of our team, Dan and Al, were already camped half way up the route at "Helen Lake." I put that in quotes because it is quite a misnomer, as most of the time a lake is nowhere to be seen, completely covered in snow.

It was our plan to leave at 12:30 AM that morning and meet up with the other two at Helen Lake about 4:30 AM for the summit bid. My two companions had warm cars to sleep in, but I had to make due in my tent pitched in the parking lot. Due to loud conversations, cars coming and going, and some very noisy snowmobiles, I got only about two hours of light sleep.

At the appointed time, we packed our gear, donned layers of cold weather clothing, and set out in the darkness. The moon would not rise for another two hours or so, and nowhere is the trail marked. Our knowledge of the route was gained by what we read in books and online reports. By "we," I mainly mean Eric, who did the most homework beforehand. Still, in the midst of snow and trees in the middle of the night, such homework only helps so much. Our collective decision on which way to go pretty much came down to following footprints in the snow of previous climbers. This went fine for a while, but gradually the footprints thinned out and disappeared in patches of very hard snow.

Eric had a GPS, which told him that we were too far off to the right. So we turned to the left a bit, but he still kept repeating that we were still too far to the right every time he checked it. Eventually going left necessitated descending a steep hill covered in trees. When you have a huge mountain to climb, the last thing you want to do is give up gained altitude unnecessarily. However, if we were to get back on the right path, we had no choice. So we walked, and slid at times, down the hillside.

Eventually we saw the headlamps of other hikers. We were back on the route, but further along than we had expected. We had planned a necessary stop at the Horse Camp shelter and spring so we could load up on water. We had to backtrack a bit to get there. It was difficult to find the hut in the dark, because only the roof was exposed due to the high snowfall. All in all, getting lost cost us about an hour of time. It may not sound like much, but when you're facing an enormous physical challenge, you want to be as efficient as possible. In the efficiency department, we were off to a horrible start.

After Horse Camp, it was a comparatively easy climb up to Helen Lake, to join our other two members, Dan and Al. Along the way, Eric declared that he felt he couldn't keep up with our pace and turned back. After that, Joel and I kept climbing as the night turned to day. At about 5:30 AM, we finally reached Helen Lake, which was mostly an empty collection of about 20 tents. Like ants, you could see up the route that the Helen Lake campers, including Dan and Al, had already set out for their summit. We were an hour late, so I couldn't blame them for not waiting. We had two-way radios for such communication, but we had a miscommunication as to the frequency to use.

Shortly after Helen Lake is when the climbing gets serious. We put on our helmets, readied our ices axes, and headed up Avalanche Gulch like all the other ants in front of us. This part of the route accounts for about half of the total elevation gain. It is the steepest part; an ice axe is needed to help haul yourself up as well as to "self arrest" should you slip and start sliding down. Such uncontrolled falls account for many of the accidents on Shasta. I would later learn that the day before we went up, a hiker fell in this section. All I know is that a helicopter landed at Helen Lake and two rescuers had to climb up to get her and ski her on a stretcher back down to the helicopter. All in all, she had to wait several hours for help.

Personally, I found Avalanche Gulch too steep to go straight up, so I traversed back and forth. It took hours to get to the Red Banks near the top of the ridge, which are a series of rocks that look like red teeth. While it seemed to take ages, at least you could easily see your destination and look down and see what you accomplished. Such visible milestones are good for morale. Once atop the ridge above Avalanche Gulch, the wind immediately picks up. The hiking is, fortunately, less steep for a little while after the Red Banks. The next portion of the climb is the appropriately named Misery Hill. It is even called that on the maps. This is simply a boring, steep slog. Not quite as steep as Avalanche Gulch, but much less interesting as the angle of incline is always the same and all you see is ice in front of you. It is also during the emotionally difficult third quarter: you're exhausted from a long journey but still can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

As I got closer to the top of Misery Hill, the high altitude, combined with a lack of sleep, was getting to me. I was genuinely concerned about throwing up. I've been above 14,000 feet before, twice on Mount Whitney and once on Mount Langley, and I hadn't had bad experiences. However, on those trips I camped along the way, helping me acclimatize to the thin air. The Shasta route, at 7,262 feet of elevation gain, is also significantly more than Mount Whitney at 5,860. So it isn't just the altitude but how much time you allow yourself to adjust to it.

Other climbers who got a late start kept passing me on Misery Hill. It was along this stretch that my fellow Vegas climbers who camped at Helen Lake passed me on their way down. I told them I was considering turning back, but they encouraged me by saying that I was nearly there and to at least make it to the top of Misery Hill before turning back.

Slowly but surely I finally made it to the top of the hill. I had never read up on the route in advance, so I didn't know what to expect after that. What I saw was the summit in clear view but still a ways off, about half a mile and 300 feet of elevation. There I collapsed for a while to get my head together and compose myself. My partner, Joel, encouraged me to push on, as we were almost there. It was nice of him to wait with me, as the longer you take, the softer the snow gets, making the descent more difficult.

Mike collapsed at the top of Misery Hill.

After about a 20-minute rest, I decided I was either going to make the summit or puke, whichever came first. For a brief section after that, the route is mostly flat, actually descending a bit. However, the last 300 feet or so is steep again, along a windy path to the summit. There is no turning back this close to the top. Figuratively, I could smell victory. Literally, I could smell sulfur from vents near the summit. Remember, Shasta is a volcano, erupting about once every 1,000 years.

The rest and being able to see the finish line clearly re-energized me, because I found my second wind and made it to the top in decent time. As expected, it was very windy at the summit, but it was a beautiful clear day, allowing views of the valley below and several other peaks in the Cascade and Trinity ranges. I took the obligatory summit photos and a 360-degree panoramic movie. However, the snow was getting mushier by the minute, so we didn't dally too long.

Obviously, the trip down went faster. As is expected, I felt my strength coming back the lower I got, corresponding to the thickening air. Wherever possible, I glissaded, which means to slide down. The snow was still too chunky to glissade down Misery Hill, but the conditions were perfect for most of Avalanche Gulch. In fact, I took a movie of that portion.

Towards the bottom of Avalanche Gulch, the snow got too wet and mushy to glissade further and we had to go on foot again. At one point, I sunk so deep in the snow I had to use my ice axe to dig myself out. We tried to glissade in a few spots after Helen Lake, but for the most part the snow was too soft, so it was a slow, hot march through wet snow back to the car.

In the bright daylight, it was clear where we got lost on our way up. You're supposed to make a left turn into the woods about five minutes after starting. We just didn't know that. I know the Forest Service is trying to keep Shasta as pristine as possible, but I think a few signs to show the way between the parking lot and Horse Camp would be very helpful to midnight hikers. There are already roads, outhouses, and snowmobilers at the base of the mountain, so it isn't like Shasta is a virgin to the human touch.

All in all, the climb took about 15 hours. After everyone was back in the parking lot, we celebrated with a bottle of cheap wine and then descended to a lower and quieter spot to camp for the night. I never slept so well in my life.

In retrospect, for most recreational climbers I would not recommend doing Shasta as a day trip as I did. It certainly made for a good physical challenge, but there is something to be said for taking your time and enjoying the journey, not to mention properly adjusting to the altitude. Most people do Shasta in two days and some take three. There are only two good choices for camping along the way. The first is the lower and serene Horse Camp. The lower altitude and trees make for good protection from the wind and a lovely spot to spend some time. However, it isn't much higher than the trailhead, so you don't get a significant head start on summit day. The second is the higher Helen Lake camp, which is cold, windy, and crowded. It would require a lot of effort to get the camping gear up that high, but it would make for a much easier summit attempt.

Judging by the number of tents at each spot, most climbers pick Helen Lake. However, if I ever did it again, I would choose Horse Camp. I would start out early to spend as many hours as possible at Horse Camp to acclimatize. Then again, if you're in a hurry, or like harsh conditions, then I would go with Helen Lake.

I hope this account wasn't too boring and maybe I've inspired some readers to attempt it themselves. Of course, conquering Shasta requires being in excellent physical shape, knowing mountaineering techniques like self-arrest, procuring a lot of expensive mountaineering clothing and gear, and preferably securing a partner familiar with the route. All in all, it was a fun and challenging experience that I will never forget and am proud of myself for completing.


Mike ascending Avalanche Gulch at first light

This was included in the "blue bag kit". Just like playing darts!

After enjoying a hearty breakfast the next morning, Joel and Mike pose with Shasta in the background.


Henry "The Mountain Man" Jingle


Where were you born?
Los Angeles, CA

How long have you lived in Las Vegas?
15 years

What is your occupation?
I was a Power Engineering Manager (Mechanical & Nuclear Engineer). I'm now retired, but am a business creator and thinker.

How long have you been an LVMC member?
I cannot remember when I joined. I have been more active the past few years.

What is your favorite hike/climb?
Mount Olympus in Greece

What is the most challenging hike/climb you have done?
Iztaccihual Volcano (17,159 ft.) in Mexico the 8th highest in North America.
I crossed the glacier to elevation 16,888 ft. and had to turn around due to weather coming in!

How did you get into hiking/climbing?
I started hiking as a Boy Scout. I got involved in mountaineering to support my wife, Anya’s dreams of climbing the Colorado 14ers. (Anya has done 22 to date.)

What are your hobbies other than hiking/climbing?
Photography, creating slideshows, fishing, rafting, living genealogy, writing, traveling, UCLA/USC football & basketball, and creating new concepts

Slideshows of our mountaineering and other adventurers are on: Thanks to my wife Anya. Enjoy!



President: Jose Witt
Vice President/Training Director: Richard Baugh
Secretary: Lynda Gallia
Treasurer: Nasrin Houston
Newsletter Editor: Joel Brewster
Outings Director:
Dan Young
Membership Director: Eric Kassan
Website Director: Amy Brewster
Public Relations/Marketing Directors: Doug Hladky
Club Gear Director:
Dan Young
Social Director: Skip Spilman
Assistant Director: Heather Torrey
Past President: Kristi Meyer

The Ascender is the monthly online newsletter of the Las Vegas Mountaineers Club. All content is property of LVMC and may be used only by the original submitters. All others must obtain written consent from the Board of Directors.
All Club members are invited to submit trip reports, photos, trip listings, recipes, classified ads and other related information. August 10th is the deadline for the next issue.

Joel Brewster




Please send any address, phone number and e-mail changes to Eric Kassan, membership director. LVMC currently has approximately 120 paid members or families.

If you wish to send a check instead of using PayPal online, please make your check payable to the Las Vegas Mountaineers Club and mail to: P.O. Box 36026, Las Vegas, NV 89133-6026.
Single membership is $30 per year, $85 for three years. Family annual membership is $40, $110 for three years.



This club gear is available at no charge to members (a refundable deposit of the gear's approximate value may be required):

4-season tent
Bear Barrels
Alpine Axes*
Strap-on Crampons*
Hiking Boots
Climbing Shoes


Belay Devices

Belay Plate
Ice Tool
Ice Screws

Deadman Anchors

*Will require a signed waiver.

Non-members are not eligible to borrow club gear. Deposits taken on gear must be in the form of cash or check and will be returned upon return of equipment. Gear is also available to members for courses with no deposit required. If you have any questions or would like to inquire about club gear, please contact Dan Young.

Classified Ads
Members: Free
Non-members: $5

Business Ads
1/8 page (business card): $5
1/4 page: $10
1/2 page: $15
Full page: $20
All rates are per issue and will be discontinued automatically unless renewed. Ads must be prepaid and sent by e-mail or submitted on CD. Please make checks payable to Las Vegas Mountaineers Club.




The Las Vegas Mountaineers meet on the 4th WEDNESDAY of the month at REI in Boca Park.


Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mt. Shasta, Mt. Hood & other peaks of the Northwest
Eric Kassan, Joel Brewster, & Dan Young


Wednesday, August 24, 2011


LVMC | Contact | Calendar | Newsletters | Message Board | Join Us | Members Area

©2002-11 Las Vegas Mountaineers Club, all rights reserved.
Dedicated to the preservation and enjoyment of the mountains.
Website Problems. Contact Us.